Go back in time when my generation (children of the 70's) and older were growing up. the books were good quality books, with great content. I am sure you still remember some to this day. In the 80's two things happened, big publishing houses and mass retailers! Because of this profit margins became the driving force for the production of books. All of a sudden books became based on TV cartoons, video games and general commercialism.
So getting back to the question, how do you choose good quality books for children when there are so many books out there?
1. Seek out books that you remember from your childhood. (House that Jack built, Jack and the Beanstalk, Little Red Hen, Three Billy Goats Gruff and many more)
2. Look for new books that will build on important values for your family.
3. Avoid books that will take the child back to the television or computer.
4. Give your child good quality books.
5. Read to your child and enjoy good quality time together. Books with music CDs are a great way to enjoy a story.
, a small independent company that started in 1993 by two working mothers, Nancy Traversy and Tessa Strickland has the vision and goals to publish and share books, gifts and arts that promote childrenʼs love for learning, independence of the spirit, multiculturalism and protection of the environment. Barefoot Books products include award-winning books, music cds and colorful artworks that appeal to children and all children at heart.
By: Heidi Rosenberg