Monday, January 19, 2009

Family Yearbook Challenge 2009!

Home is where your story begins....

The Family Yearbook Challenge is officially underway. Today is Week 1 and we have some catching up to do since today is January 19th. If you're just joining us, here is where the inspiration started....Click HERE and scroll towards the bottom of this post.

Make sure you comment for "Attendance/Roll Call"...that's how I'll keep track for the big Family Yearbook Publishing Drawing at the end of the year!!

This class will focus on getting all of your information "digital". You may hand write whatever you'd like or when getting your family involved they may give you hand-written stories as well. But the goal is to take those handwriting's and put them into your computer via a word-type document. Make sure you follow these 2 steps to ensure that you'll be organized and successful.

1. In your My Documents folder (or wherever you'd like to create this project) create a folder called FYB_2009.

2. Inside the FYB_2009 create 12 folders for each of the 12 months.

The agenda is below to get us caught up January 1 - January 18. Then I'll give you some tips to start recording this weeks events so you'll be caught up by next Monday, January 26. By time January 26th rolls around, you'll be 100% current with your family's 2009 Yearbook. This first "class" will have more than the normal homework, but it's so we can get current with our lives and dive right into the stories.

** These are just suggestions and ideas. If you have a specific event or idea that you want to share DO IT! Be creative, but keep it simple so you'll follow through and be successful. I'll always remind you about birthdays each week and other events that may happen at different times during the year, but if you have something special that's happened or is happening put those stories into your yearbook. Don't wait for a prompt from me. And of course, if you have any ideas please share them!! You can post in the comments section or email me.

Homework: January 1-18

1. Write a short introduction. It can be in a short story format, letter, poem...whatever you'd like. But write something up that can go in the beginning of your book so you'll remember how life was when the year started. We'll also close with one at the end of the year and it's always fascinating to see how life changes in just 12 short months.

2. New Year's - Notes, bullets, or stories about your New Year's celebration. Any new traditions started? Old ones practiced? Family or friends visiting? Were you somewhere special? Did you travel?

3. If there were any birthdays celebrated take note of who, what age, gifts and/or parties.

4. Tell about a typical day or week in your family. (Keep it simple!)

5. Ask each person in your family this question: What is the favorite part of your day?

After you're done collecting this information and it's typed into a Word doc, save it in your FYB_2009 folder under January and name it Jan 1-18.

Now COPY and paste any photos that you have that go with these events and questions into the January folder. If you'd like to rename them you can with Jan 1, Jan 2, Jan 3, and so on and so on. If you have any memorabilia that is NOT digital, scan and save as a jpg. minimum 300 dpi to your January folder, named and labeled.

Homework: January 19-25

1. Did you have MLK day off? If so, what did you do? Anything fun with friends or family?

2. Major world and national headlines are taking place on the 20th. This is time to write about your feelings of the past election, your beliefs, thoughts, and the inauguration itself. Have your spouse and/or children who are keeping up with these stories share their thoughts, beliefs and hopes.

3. Any birthdays? If a family member outside of your immediate family celebrated a birthday, share some stories and memories about this person.

4. What are some of your family's favorite TV shows, movies, games, books...etc?

After you're done collecting this information and it's typed into a Word doc, save it in your FYB_2009 folder under January and name it Jan 19-25.

Now COPY and paste any photos that you have that go with these events and questions into the January folder. If you'd like to rename them you can with Jan 1, Jan 2, Jan 3, and so on and so on. If you have any memorabilia that is NOT digital, scan and save as a jpg. minimum 300 dpi to your January folder, named and labeled.

Easy enough, Right? We can do this!! I'm doing it right along with you....We're going to do this together, so share with all of your bloggy friends and family and help them get started with us. I hope we have 100's and 100's of family's sharing their stories.

Next Monday I'll have a button for you to grab and share on your blog so we can get more and more friends to join in. I'll also have my first Gift to you! Please feel free to contact me any time at tarabrown {at} cherishbound {dot} com.

Happy Story Collecting!

post signature

13 comments:

Lisa @ Crazy Adventures in Parenting said...

I love this! I will try to sit down and make time to get this together tomorrow (or should I say, later, since it's so late)! :)

Missy said...

I am so excited about this! I have a couple tips, when creating your folders put the number of the month before the name so they stay in order. I also created a folder to put you blog posts, or ideas for us in so if I do not get to something right away.

PattiH05k said...

Love this! Glad you waited to post this because my computer died this weekend, and this is a good way to start building up my file system again.

Anonymous said...

This sounds like a great idea! I'm not sure how I feel about everything digital, as I do enjoy scrapping, but the more I read your blog, the more I see digital as being fun too...I'm going to try to jump on board here, and put thoughts and stories on my computer so I have them!

Linda said...

Ok, I'll give it a go. I'm trying to catch up on everything this week, so I can do this too. Thanks for the help.

BeckyK said...

I am in also, I am truly excited about trying this. Thanks

Anonymous said...

This sounds like fun! Well, a lot of work but in the end it will be fun. I am in. I am moving at the end of January so I might be a bit behind until mid-February.

TheXMom said...

I love this, my digital camera is broken so no new pic for awhile but I've been wanting to do a few projects with past photos...

Anonymous said...

What a fantastic project!!! I LOVE it! I am going to do this and make a post about it on my site.

Jessica
www.MomShots.com

Ginny said...

My internet has been acting up. Figured it was a great time to get caught up, I have all my questions answered & my folders created. Thanks again for doing this!

Krystal said...

I do love organizing all my stories and photos together with this system. And once again, I love these questions. Thanks for doing this project! :)

Amy said...

Half way done on this homework. A long way from being caught up though.

Anonymous said...

hermes are legendary. These amazing handbags have been around for many years but the quality has always stayed the same. The hermes belt company started with saddle bags in 1837 and expanded from there. hermes wallet has the best known handmade handbags that are available today.
Neither in a rigid rectangular shape nor featuring a precise flap closure, Chanel bags easy and breezy facade is more suitable for relaxed time such as shopping. White Chanel bag color is the favorite palette from Karl Lagerfeld, which is proved in his 09 Spring White Paper Show- the luxury concentrated on a single idea, not just the materials of Chanel Wallet . Purchase one Chanel handbags now.
lida is a product of a company which produces goods diet pills. lida daidaihua are famous all over the world these days. daidaihua can be bought through online ways also. One of the lida slimming website which provides this facility is ours. slimming capsule increases your metabolic rate 18 times! Do you want to feel like a teenager again? Well, now you can. Act like a teen again with slimming capsules
!
Tiffany jewellery jewelries have occupied a very prominent position in the world jewelry industry over the past decades. Tiffany rings classical history was nearly spoken in everyone’s mouth. silver rings was first opened in 1837 (named Tiffany & Young) in New York where its first day of business pulled in Tiffany earrings Jewelry Key chains ace lets are both suitable for your own wearing and present giving.