Another Monday has arrived and another "Dinner Blessing" idea is waiting for you. This is a favorite for our family because we're HUGE sports fans and Monday nights bring us football during the fall and winter. So occasionally we'll do a fun "theme" dinner! And yes, tonight is MONDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL night!
Out here on the east coast football starts a little later then the rest of the country.... 8:30pm! So dinner is the "appetizer" to the football game. And obviously it's a school night so bedtime for the little ones is at kickoff. But that doesn't stop us from having a fun Monday Night Football Dinner! Here's a list of ideas that you can do for a sports-themed dinner. And remember....it doesn't have to be about football. Maybe you're celebrating your baseball team's playoff game, a basketball teams opening night, or your family's favorite NASCAR race. It doesn't matter....just do something fun with the family!
- Use decorated place mats made by the kids. My son likes to take the big white construction paper and makes everyone their own football places mats. Easy, fun, quick and can be thrown away when dinner is over.
- Serve dinner outside and let the kids in the back of the truck....good ole tailgate party!
- Put the drinks in an ice chest
- PAPER PLATES! Woo-hoo! No dishes tonight. Green paper plates or even football plates are fun. I always buy the clearance plates and napkins after the Superbowl each year...maybe spend 25 cents a package! Or you can always use your favorite team's colors.
- If dad's home in time, we BBQ hot dogs or hamburgers with all the fixings.
- Our favorite: The Nacho Bar! Crock pot cheese, chips, chili, lettuce, tomatoes, onions, sour cream, avocado, salsa.....just a big giant nacho bar! Everyone loves the nacho bar. The kids think it's so much fun to make their plates and pick what they like.
- Buffet style finger food with chicken wings, chicken strips, interesting dipping sauces, Swedish or BBQ meatballs, mini egg rolls, an assortment of sandwiches made on mini buns.
- Another fun favorite food...Pigs in a Blanket or little smokies in the crock pot with apricot/pineapple jam. Yes, sounds weird but it's incredible!!
- Creative Desserts! We love the "Football Cupcakes" or you can always make brownies or cookies cut out in the shape of footballs. Desserts are a great way to get the older kids involved.
It's no surprise to have one or two kids show up with their favorite team jersey on and I can recall at least 2 times when one showed up with a painted face! That's an entirely different story....but no matter what, find something fun to do with your family at dinner tonight. Whether it's swapping stories, celebrating an accomplishments among your family, or having a Monday Night Football Party...it doesn't matter! Just make some memories!