Monday, August 4, 2008

Top 10 Summer Memories!

Summer is now furiously coming to a close...as a mother I welcome it with open arms and throw out a few obnoxious hallelujahs! Even though my children are longing for a schedule, they would rather plan a few more beach days and sell a little bit more lemonade. I will admit that there is a tincy-wincy part of me that is a sad about this particular moment in time coming to an end.

Next year my sweet 14 yr. old will be driving with a permit. My 12 yr. old will be an official teen and won't be the same little girl she is this summer. My 5 yr. old boy will graduate from a cute toothless innocent little boy to a bike-riding neighborhood terror! He'll be a bit more mature and will probably want to have adventures with the neighborhood boys instead of treasuring hunting with his mama. And the twins...gosh, they'll be little kids! No more toddlers toddling around, mumbling gibberish. So yeah, there's a part of me that's sad at the end of each summer.

In order to keep a small part of this summer's memories alive, I'm having my my kids write and publish a "Top 10" book about their "Top Ten Favorite Summer Memories". I want them to be able to remember their summer memories vividly. Although summer was my favorite time of year as a kid, I'm beginning to have a hard time remembering details, and I would love to be able to see how I really felt and what I really thought about those amazing summer days. It's one of those things that you have to record so you can relive the moment...you can't rethink it. You have to relive it through words.

So here's a sneak peak at some of their Top 10's:

State Championship Softball Victory, first year of Especially For Youth Camp, getting fake glue-on nails, moving to a new house, learning how to do a flip on the trampoline, "skinny" jeans, catching a frog, learning to ride a bike, swimming, backyard camp out, lemonade stands, picnic at the park, seeing an alligator in the pond, grandma and cousin Cody visiting our family.....

Those are just a few, but those memories are theirs! They're not mine. I was there for most, but had I written these Top 10 Summer books by myself, I would have missed some very important summer details. I would have never thought that getting FAKE glue-on nails would be a highlight. But that's the beauty of being a 12 yr. old girl. And seeing an alligator? I completely forgot about that until I was reminded by my amazing boy. It's so entertaining to take a peak into their minds. I love seeing the world through their eyes. I love hearing their version of the story. It's much more exciting to hear what they have to say.

Take the time to find out what your family's Top 10 Summer Memories are! Interview your children. Find out their version of the story. You'll be surprised at what they say. Don't forget to have them write down how they felt, what they've learned, and who they spent time with.

Leave a comment about some of your favorite family's favorite summertime memories and you could win a "Top Ten Mini" Story Starter from Cherish Bound. Be sure to check back to see if you won!! Contest closes on August 17th....the DAY BEFORE SCHOOL STARTS!!

2 comments:

Chelle said...

I LOVE summer! Let's see...July 4th fireworks, sparklers on the lawn, relaxing under the stars in the new hot tub, visits from far away family, hiking, camping, swimming, and the county fair.

Rachelle
ludwin@digis.net

Tara said...

I know! Summer is the best...now I'm a sucker for the holidays too, so I'm sure in a few months I'll say they're my favorite, but right now summer is the best! I'm already getting ready to miss it and wish we could have done more!! Thanks for sharing!!!