Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Tuesday Tradition #20

I love summer! I love the warm air (most of the time), I love the beach, the pool, BBQ's and get togethers....I love NO SCHOOL and NO schedules! Such a nice change of pace. And I love the 4th of July...and of course I'm a July Birthday, so I love it for that reason too.

Summer Rocks! And I love that with the simplicity of our schedule we get to spend more time together as a family. No 6 hour drives to soccer tournaments or 2 hours of car pool back and forth to all of our after-school commitments....it's just filled with dates by the pool, morning jogs, afternoon basketball, a little more swimming, some trampoline jumping....then daddy gets home from work and more swimming, late night tennis....

I didn't realize it, but we have great summer traditions in our family. I think we take it for granted that we are so blessed to be able to spend so much "FUN" time together in the summer. Obviously our family revolves around a sports theme, but that's tradition for us! My husband and I are....I guess you could say obsessed with sports, and we have successfully passed on our tradition and passion for sports to our kids. How many couples happily fall asleep with ESPN on in the background....last night, we were up watching the re-play of Tiger Woods' incredible victory of the US Open until 1:00 am. That's bonding....that's tradition in our family.

So maybe you're not a big sports fan, but you have something that you love that you can pass on to your children. And when you put those things into practice it's a tradition...how about cooking or baking? Reading? Writing? Do you collect something? Sing? (Ain't none of that going on in our family) Sailing? Artist? Comedian? Fishing? (that's us too) It can be anything! You are the one that will mold your children and grandchildren, and the family traditions you set in place today will be what connects their family together. Are you passing those wonderful talents and traditions on? I sure hope so....because if you don't, someone else will.

No comments: