Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Tuesday Tradition #10

I was at the Florida Story Camp this weekend and met some AMAZING people...people who love their stories, their history and their legacy. I met an older women who was telling me about a tradition she has with her grandchildren. She's a storyteller at heart and in life and her love for story is carrying on through her grandchildren. She told me that she has a jar at her house that is filled with story prompts that are written on little slips of paper....Where did you go to school in kindergarten? What was your favorite Christmas present? Who was your best friend? Tell me about the first time you fell in love....and so on and so on. Every time her grandchildren come over they pull a piece of paper from the jar and ask her the question. She said they will sit and listen to her stories and love to hear about her life and adventures. What a great idea?! I love it. We don't live close to our family, so I'm going to modify this great tradition. I'm going to send all of the grandmother's a beautiful box for Mother's Day filled with questions. Every time we call them (usually once a week) my kids can ask them to pull a question from their box and tell them a story. It would still be so nice to be right there in the room with them, but we'll make it work with what we've got. What a beautiful tradition to share with your families...try it and let me know how it works.

No comments: