Sunday, March 2, 2008

Confessions of an Ex-Scrapbooker #4

We moved a few weeks ago and had to move into a temporary rental...and downsized 2000 sq. feet for the next few months. Obviously, most of our stuff went to storage and I had to pick and choose what came with me. There's no thinking twice about where our scrapbooks, photos and Cherish Bound books go...that's with me! I decided it was time to organize and get unpacked and settled for the next few months. I'm sure you understand how it works when it's time to unpack pictures, photo albums and memory books...time stops and you look through them. The memories start flooding back. The first one I pulled out was my wedding scrapbook. Now let me tell you something about this scrapbook...or "Hackbook" as I call it. It was my first attempt at scrapbooking. WRONG book to scrap on your first try. I was young, stupid, and had no idea what I was doing. I "hacked" all my pictures into shreds! I never noticed this as much before, but it's bad. I must have gotten some new scissors when I tried to scrap it. There were cuts and bruises all over the pictures. The worst part about it...NO STORIES. Just a bunch of hacked up paper and pictures. I couldn't stand it. I logged on to Cherish Bound, opened up my publishing center and decided right then and there that I was going to publish a simple, but beautiful story book about the most important day of my life. I scanned the handful of pictures I wanted in my book and started editing as much of the "hacking" as possible. It's amazing after 14 years how my priorities of memory preservation have shifted. I didn't want any of the stickers, colored papers, or even wasted snapshots that have people in it that I can't remember. I just wanted the stories and pictures of my husband and me. I wanted to write the stories of what was important about that experience so my children could learn and know our Love Story. I whipped out my Wedding Story Starter and answered some important questions, remembered some great memories that I have forgotten and wrote our wedding story in about 30 min. I scanned for about 30 min. and then uploaded and typed the text in about 30 min. I submitted my wedding story in less than 2 hours. I think it took me 2 months to create my first wedding "hackbook"...2 MONTHS! I cannot wait to see my wedding book. It's filled with important stories that my children will be able to have forever and some precious photos that will remind my husband and me of that amazing day.

No comments: